By Kelli Morgan
I love to check out new cookbooks at the library. Katie suggested that I get the BabyCakes cookbook, since it is all vegan gluten-free and delicious! I instantly started drooling over all of the beautiful pictures. I was also impressed at the high quality ingredients the recipes called for. I was having lots of trouble deciding which treat to make first when Merrick came over and pointed to the vanilla wafer picture. When I asked him if he wanted mommy to make him these, he replied “ya” with a big smile. Ah, that smile melts my heart! So off I went to the kitchen and started making my little man his cookies. The cookies were super easy to make, baked beautifully and were incredibly delicious! Merrick carried the container of them around all day!
Babycakes’s Nilla Wafers
- 2 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 cup vegan sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup melted refined coconut oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vanilla extract (I only used 1TB)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until the dough is smooth.
- Drop the dough by the teaspoonful onto baking sheets (I line mine with silpads).
- Using the bottom of a glass, lightly press the cookie to flatten its shape.
- Bake for 5 minutes, rotate the pans and bake for 4 more minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Let stand on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before serving